Located in the northeast corner of the state, Jackson County was created in 1819 from land acquired from the Cherokee Indians. It was named in honor of General Andrew Jackson. The first county seat was Sauta Cave, followed by Bellefonte and then Scottsboro. Today Jackson County contains 1,069 square miles and the county seat is Scottsboro, named for Robert T. Scott an early pioneer. Other towns include Bridgeport and Stevenson.