Historical Markers of
Huntsville & Madison County, Alabama
The Alabama Historical Association began formulating a program to better publicize historical sites and make them more accessible to the general public. A distinctive metal highway marker design was adopted by the committee and the first Alabama Highway marker was erected in 1947.
- 1951, the newly formed Huntsville-Madison County Historical Society assisted the Acme Club in erecting its first historical marker in Huntsville to commemorate Andrew Jackson’s encampment on his way to Horseshoe Bend.
- August 16, 1953, the Society sponsored its first Alabama Historical Association marker, marking the site of the formation of Madison County in 1808.
Since 1951 we have been responsible for the erection of 88 metal historical markers in Huntsville and Madison County. The Marker Committee currently has approximately 25 proposed sites on its list awaiting research and funding.
Guidelines for selecting and locating historical markers in Madison County can be read here.
Interested in sponsoring a historical marker?
Want to learn more? Here are additional resources.